Leo Neville, PLLC
Leo Neville, PLLC

Michigan No-Fault

Many automobile and motorcycle accident victims lose THOUSANDS of dollars every year because they do not understand how insurance works – or unfortunately doesn’t work. Many MISTAKENLY believe that they have full coverage when in reality they do not. Others do not understand the significant differences in the types of insurance coverage available to them. WORSE YET, many people think that everybody else carries adequate insurance coverage. Unfortunately, they don’t find out until AFTER they have had an accident.


Years ago Michigan passed the No-Fault law that covers motor vehicle accidents. Under the law the insurance company is required to pay you certain benefits when you are injured in a motor vehicle accident. These include the payment of your:

As the name implies, these benefits are SUPPOSED to be paid by your own insurance company no matter whose fault the accident was. Sometimes an insurance company may decide that they have “paid you enough” and want to stop paying your benefits even though you still need them. DON’T LET THEM DO THAT TO YOU. CALL LEO NEVILLE at (734) 425-6340 and let me go to work for you!


As hard as it may seem to believe, there are hundreds of vehicles on Michigan roads where neither the owner nor the driver has ANY insurance. There are also thousands of vehicles on the road that have only the bare minimum amount of coverage. What happens if you are seriously injured in an accident with one of them?

UNINSURED MOTORIST protection is coverage on your vehicle that pays for your pain and suffering if the driver or owner of the vehicle that hit you has no insurance. If you are injured in an accident with an uninsured vehicle you can make a claim for your injuries under the Uninsured Motorist coverage in your policy.

KEEP IN MIND: this is NOT a mandatory type of coverage in Michigan. Just like your standard insurance coverage, Uninsured Motorist coverage begins at minimum amounts of $20,000 for one person and $40,000 total coverage for all occupants in your vehicle. However for only a few extra dollars you can get the amount of coverage that is right for you from your agent. You should carry at least $100,000 to $300,000 in uninsured motorist coverage. The more coverage the better and it's CHEAP.


Most insurance policies require that the vehicle causing the accident actually CAME IN CONTACT with your vehicle before you can recover Uninsured Motorist protection. Insurance adjusters are trained to document that there was no contact between you and the other vehicle because “no contact” means “no payment” to the insurance company, and that saves them THOUSANDS of dollars. IF IT’S THE TRUTH, the insurance company needs to know that the vehicle that caused the accident CAME IN CONTACT with your vehicle. If you do not tell the insurance company that the other vehicle actually hit you, they will deny your claim and you will not be able to recover for your pain & suffering. If you are involved in a “hit and run” accident, don't let the insurance adjuster record your conversation. CALL LEO NEVILLE at (734) 425-6340.


UNDERINSURED MOTORIST coverage helps to protect you if the at-fault driver does not have enough insurance to cover the damage that he caused. Unfortunately, most bad drivers who have insurance only carry the minimum amount: a $20,000 policy limit. That means that the most that the at-fault driver’s insurance company would only have to pay is only $20,000. If you or a family member are seriously injured a $20,000 insurance policy does not even begin to properly cover the amount of your injuries and damages.

Thankfully, some (but not all) insurance companies are now beginning to offer what is known as “Underinsured” motorist coverage. Ask your agent if your insurance company does. If they do not, switch to a company that does. With this type of coverage, your own insurance company will pay you better value for your serious injuries if the at-fault driver does not have enough insurance. Therefore, you should carry at least $100,000 to $300,000 of underinsured motorist coverage.


Did you know that many insurance policies do not provide any or adequate coverage for injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents? Don’t be left without insurance. CALL YOUR INSURANCE AGENT TODAY and tell them that you want to review your insurance coverage and that you want to be completely covered if you have an accident while riding a motorcycle. The call could save you THOUSANDS.


When you have an accident you have certain responsibilities under your insurance policy. First, you must give the insurance company timely notice about the accident. Waiting too long may mean that your claim will be denied. To the insurance company, that saves them LOTS OF MONEY.

You may also be required to cooperate with the insurance company during its investigation of the claim. You must submit any medical bills promptly, they may have a right to examine you under oath (this should be done with your attorney present), and they may have a right to obtain your medical records and send you for an examination by THEIR doctor.

Another important reason why you have insurance is the company’s DUTY to defend you in the event that you are being sued. Your insurance company must pay for an attorney to defend you in any lawsuits filed against you under the insurance policy.

For help in dealing with the insurance company or to schedule a FREE office consultation about your serious injury case CALL LEO NEVILLE at (734) 425-6340.


This information is not intended to be a complete discussion of all the issues relating to motor vehicle insurance. Contact your local insurance agent to review your coverage or to learn more about the different types of coverage that are available to help protect you.

For more information CALL LEO NEVILLE at (734) 425-6340 to schedule an appointment.

Practice Areas
How Can We Help?



Leo D. Neville proudly serves the Detroit Metropolitan area and southeastern Michigan including the cities of: Allen Park, Ann Arbor, Canton, Dearborn, Dearborn Heights, Detroit, Farmington, Farmington Hills, Garden City, Livonia, Milford, Northville, Novi, Redford, Plymouth, Southfield, South Lyon, Ypsilanti as well as Wayne County, Oakland County, Macomb County, Monroe County, and Washtenaw County.